Thursday 1 March 2012

New Recruits - their story part 1.

My first experience of Reservist Basic Recruit Training


A (very) long time ago, I had my first experience of military life as a member of my local Army Cadet unit. Then a young and spotty teenager, I remember a lot of shouting from NCO’s with their face just inches from my own, being ordered to “drop and give me 20” as punishment for any minor misdemeanour and on more that one occasion having to run several miles at the double in boots and webbing because one of our section was out of step on parade.

So, these being my primary recollections of the military (and most people’s belief that this is how it is), you might wonder why I decided to join the RAF Reserves but the truth is that I have much better memories of my cadet life (which lasted almost 8 years man and boy so to speak), the challenge, the friends, the whole experience and I suppose it was these I took with me however it is fair to say that on arriving at RAF Benson for my first training weekend and facing the dreaded fitness test I wasn’t really sure what to expect and was just a little nervous.

It was then most reassuring that when gathered in the tea room of 606 squadron HQ with the other recruits that morning I discovered that I was not alone. Here we all were, drawn from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, a mix of men and woman spanning a spectrum of ages and until a few minutes before all strangers but now we were getting to know each other, sharing our anticipation of what lay ahead. Several of my new comrades had previous military experience so I listened to what they had to say, hoping to glean a few tips and before I knew it we were off to the gym for that fitness test.

The test was tough but not as bad as I had built it up to be in my head and when told I had passed, I had a great feeling satisfaction and achievement but if I’m honest there was also a sigh of relief..!

Having “made the grade” there were congratulatory comments from our NCO’s before more form filling then the attestation ceremony. It was at this point when it all became real for me… I thought “This is it, you’ve made it” and I felt a great sense of pride. That feeling was their again the following morning when I put the uniform on for the first time and it has been there every time since. For me that is one of the best things about being a member of the RAF.

Our basic training started straight away and despite any previous apprehension I may have had, it is fair to say that life with 606 squadron has been a great experience so far. The members of our training flight are all good people and we look out for each other which is important, after all we are in this together. Our NCO’s are not just extremely knowledgeable of their subjects but they have encouraged and supported us throughout. They endeavour to make the training sessions as interesting as possible – not always an easy task with some of the topics – and contrary to common belief Sergeants do have a sense of humour (sort of), provided of course you show the respect due to them. There is a lot to learn in a short period of time but you really believe that the officers and NCO’s want you to succeed and that spurs you on work hard and do better.

We are two thirds way through our course now and there is still the basic training at RAF Halton to come. I’m really looking forward to that two weeks away and I can’t wait to get back to RAF Benson to start my trade training. Joining the RAF Reserve is one of the best decisions I have made... wish I had done it years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment