Monday 12 November 2012

It's more than just a hobby...sometimes..


As a serving member of 606 (Chiltern) Squadron I get to do some pretty cool things and sometimes, the opportunity to combine some of my many other hobbies rears it head .....

For instance; last month a group of squadron members and I participated in some adventurous training which happened to include hobby number one: Mountain Biking. This took the form of a challenging (read muddy, cold and wet) pedal along the South Downs Way over a long weekend. Good stuff..

This month The Squadron asked me to support a small exercise on the Longmoor training area providing lights and power for the Chef's. Opportunity number two: photography. I normally concentrate on sports/action myself but recently have been experimenting on the more creative side of the of the hobby and saw this as a way to try some things i'd seen others do.


 
Wide Angle SV



First, using a ultra-wide angle lens (Sigma 10-20mm) and a handy SV I got this.




















Later on that evening i'd started to lose the light and ended up experimenting with my mini tripod and some ever increasing exposure times, coming up with this:

Chef's by Tent Light

For those interested in such stuff this was 43sec/f22 @ ISO400 using the light from a distant spotlight, the fluorescent light from the tent and my torch (shining on the number plate)

I think it was around 11pm and the light had well and truly gone when the cloud cleared and it started getting cold - so I took the opportunity for a long exposure of a DAF and a Land Rover lit only by the Moon:

DAF by Moonight

You can tell how long I had the shutter open: the stars have moved.... well technically we moved, but you know what I mean. Again, for those wanting to know 109sec/f14 @ ISO1000. Not long after this it clouded over again and the heavens opened.... but that's another post..

Phil Duley.
CPL
606 Eng



No comments:

Post a Comment